24 Facts about Left-Handed People That You Did Not Know
Are you left or right-handed? Even after numerous studies and years of investigations, scientists and medical experts cannot yet specify and discover the cause or better said the reason why a person becomes left or right-handed. Still, according to the latest studies, there is a complex connection between person’s genes and the environment. Scientists came to conclusion that great percentage of left-handed individuals come from a family of a left-handed person.
What Else Did the Research Show?
Team of researchers made detailed analysis of the hand- writings of both, left or right-handed persons and concluded that the writings are quite different. Hence, due to the fact that left-handed individuals are trying to adapt to a right-handed world, they are far more independent.
24 Interesting Facts about Left-Handed People
- The word ‘left’ is an word with an Anglo-Saxon origin and it comes from the word ‘lyft’ which meant broken or weak.
- Scientists discovered that people who are left-handed use the right side of their brain more than the left one.
- Only 5 – 10% of the world population is left-handed
- Left-handed people are good at sports like swimming, baseball, boxing, tennis, etc.
- Statistics shows that about 40% of the best tennis players in the world are left-handed
- Studies showed that left-handed people have the ability to see under water easier than right-handed people
- According to one research, left-handed people usually reach puberty later, about 5 months after right-handed individuals.
- Scientists explain left-handed college graduates are expected to become 26% richer than their right-handed peers
- Studies indicate that left-handed people have a 3% higher risk of becoming alcoholics
- Did you know that out of 7 US states, 4 are left-handed?
- Scientists came to discovery that the percentage of left and right pawedness in animals such as cats, rats, and mice is equally divided
- According to one scientific research, longest words which you can type just with your left hand are: tesserae decades, sweater and dresses
- Psychologists explain that left-handed people have a different way of processing emotions than right-handed people. Moreover, left-handed individuals tend to get angry much quicker than right-handed.
- There are many separate studies which point out that left-handed people are more gifted for maths, architecture and spatial awareness while right-handed individuals have better verbal skills
- Did you know that August 13th is International Left-Handers Day?
- In the past, the left-handedness was closely associated with the devil, neurosis, rebellion, homosexuality and even However, these people were also related with creativity and musical skills.
- Scientific studies showed that people who are left-handed tend to suffer from insomnia more than right-handed persons
- According to latest statistical data, in the U.S. there are more than 30 million left-handed people. Are you one of them?
- Medical experts explain that women who give birth in their 40s have up to 128% higher chance of giving birth to a left-handed child in comparison with women who give birth in their 20s
- Historians explain that some of the most vicious killers in human history were left-handed. For instance, the Boston Stranglers, Jack the Ripper and Osama bin Laden were left-handed.
- Scientific studies showed that if left-handed people injure the left, or better said their dominant hand, they easily can learn to use the other one. It is interesting that left-handed individuals can learn to use their other hand much quicker unlike right-handed person
- Scientific studies showed that left-handed people are more prone to asthma and allergies than right-handed
- Left-handedness are incredibly powerful persons and they run in the family. For instance, Prince William, Queen Elizabeth II, Queen Mother and Prince Charles are/were left-handed
- It is interesting to mention that out of four, one Apollo astronaut was left-handed.