6 Things That Cause Fluid Retention in Your Body and How to Avoid Them
Fluid retention also called water retention or edema is an condition in which the patient has an abnormal accumulation of clear, watery fluid in the tissues or cavities of the organism. The accumulation of water in the tissue occurs as a result of imbalance in the liquid levels in the organism.
Human organism is a complex system of hormones that keep the levels of liquid stable. Namely, even if you drink more water than the recommended daily amount, any health issue won’t occur because the excess water is eliminated by the kidneys in the form of urine or sweat.
In order to prevent water (fluid) retention you should lead healthy lifestyle, which includes these 6 things:
- Consuming too much sodium
Almost any food contains sodium, but some foods such as celery, beets and milk naturally contain sodium, while processed food such as canned soups, lunch meats and frozen dinners contain sodium that is added during manufacturing.
Medical experts explain that if you consume too much sodium and you don’t drink enough water you will have issues with fluid retention.
- Processed foods
Processed foods are loaded with sugar and sodium, and according to scientists, these substances are the main causes of water retention.
If you don’t drink enough water during the day, you will face with dehydration. In order to survive, your body will start retaining water and that will cause swelling in the tissues.
- Vitamin B6 deficiency
Scientific studies indicate that vitamin B6 deficiency may cause edema. In order to prevent water retention it is highly advisable to optimize the levels of this vitamin in your organism. Some of the foods that are rich source of vitamin B6 are tuna, sunflower seeds, potatoes, pistachios, bananas or chicken.
- Magnesium deficiency
Magnesium is one of the most important minerals for the human health. This mineral has an important role in many functions and medical experts advise taking at least 200 mg. magnesium on a daily basis. Magnesium deficiency may cause water retention and that is one of the reasons why should take supplements or eat foods high in magnesium. Some of the foods that are rich source of magnesium are nuts, dried fruits, avocado, whole grains and spinach are
- Potassium deficiency
Potassium deficiency may cause improper functioning organs and fluid imbalance and retention. Potassium is a mineral that regulates the water balance in the human organism.
TIPS TO PREVENT FLUID RETENTION:
- Regular exercising is a key against Exercising will compress the muscles in the veins and thus will improve the circulation in your legs. On this way your organism will eliminate the excess fluid through urine and sweat.
- While you take a rest it is advisable to elevate your legs. On this way you will reduce the swelling in the ankles. All you should do is to put your ankles above the knees at a sharp angle as this will accelerate the movement of fluids in your organism.
- Consume more healthy food, including fruits and vegetables. Namely, fruits and veggies contain flavonoids that are extremely beneficial and help the process of removing the excess fluids from the organism.
- Avoid wearing too tight clothes as that will impair the circulation.
- Decrease the intake of salt.
- Take a shower with lukewarm water. The hot water might dehydrate your organism.